Saturday 9 June 2012

Some Saturday soul food: Ralph Waldo Emerson

                                         Source: prettystuff.tumblr.com via Jane on Pinterest


Just a quickie tonight, my friends, as I have homework to do for my two courses. I'm just itching to get stuck into it - it's been an exhilarating week with so much inspiration and challenging thoughts thrown my way.

Here's another gem from one of my favourite American poets, Ralph Waldo Emerson
The glory of friendship is not the outstretched hand, nor the kindly smile, nor the joy of companionship. 
It is the spiritual inspiration that comes to one when you discover that someone else believes in you and is willing to trust you with a friendship.
I love its simplicity and truth.

I have been blessed to have had many deep and soul-enriching friendships throughout my life. Others have come and gone. I've mourned the end of some friendships profoundly. Others, not so much. 

My *keepers* definitely have that belief and trust in me even although sometimes I haven't been able to see why. 

But when I have recognised it, it's brought me untold joy and a sense of kindred that transcends all else. They're the ones who *get* me. And some of you gorgeous Planetarians count amongst that number. Thankyou for the joy and light you bring me, just by being my friends.

So, do share your thoughts on Emerson's words. What does friendship mean to you? I can't wait to hear!
Photobucket
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...