Saturday 12 May 2012

Some Saturday soul food: Steve Jobs

                                Source: toocutethings.blogspot.com via Jane on Pinterest*


Oh, you gorgeous Planetarians! Thanks ever so much for coming out to bat for me** about my last post. It's so comforting to know that at least you all have some compassion ☺. And a super-duper thanks to those who are still answering my survey - you've provided me with enough ideas for at least a month of posts! I'll summarise the results in the coming days and start answering some of your requests and questions - watch this space. So, now I'm rugged up against the chill after a full day of 9 am soccer (Joshie assisted with one goal) and winter clothes shopping for the pixies (not for the faint-hearted - Mr PB only *just* survived!), I thought I'd pick a contemporary quotation for this week's soul food.

Steve Jobs' 2005 Stanford Commencement Speech is such a memorable and oft-quoted masterpiece of encouragement in the face of adversity. Here's one of my favourite extracts:
Sometimes life hits you in the head with a brick. Don’t lose faith. 
I’m convinced that the only thing that kept me going was that I loved what I did. 
You’ve got to find what you love. 
And that is as true for your work as it is for your lovers.  
Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work.  
And the only way to do great work is to love what you do.  
If you haven’t found it yet, keep looking. Don’t settle.  
As with all matters of the heart, you’ll know when you find it. And, like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on.  
So keep looking until you find it. Don’t settle.
This has so much resonance for me right now as I ponder which direction to take work-wise once I've recovered from my hand operation. 

I started to post on my thoughts on working as a lawyer back here but then life got in the way of my story-telling. I promise to return to where I left off soon and try to answer the questions so many of you have posed in responding to my survey.

But be assured that "love what you do" and "Don’t settle" are imprinted firmly in my brain. I hope they will be the glittering guideposts which will illuminate my way ahead. Stay tuned!

So tell us, do Steve Jobs' words resonate with you as well? Or do you think they're too idealistic? Maybe you think the idea laudable but incredibly hard to achieve. Leap in and share your thoughts - I'm all ears!  
Photobucket
*   Maybe a quirky photo choice but I feel like she's still a-wandering and not settling.
** A reference for my fellow cricket tragics!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...