Saturday 26 November 2011

Some Saturday soul food: Elisabeth Kuebler-Ross

Source
Well hello, you gorgeous Planetarians, all 455 of you! I hope this weekend finds you well, surrounded by those you love and doing something which makes your heart sing. As for me, I can tick two of those boxes (well, all three if you count this time writing my post to you) – we are crawling towards the finish line of the Carnival of Joshua as we prepare for his second birthday party in a week tomorrow afternoon. I know, we’re mad – completely bonkers – but it has been an unusual year for him, having to change schools so often, so ‘needs must’ this year.

Today I thought I’d share with you a quotation which really resonates with me on so many levels. It touches my soul at its core.

Elisabeth Kübler-Ross (8 July 1926 - 24 August 2004) was a Swiss-American psychiatrist who is best known for her now famous the Five Stages of Grief. She estimated that by 1982, she had taught ‘125,000 students in death and dying courses in colleges, seminaries, medical schools, hospitals, and social-work institutions’. I think her exposure to so much pain, despair and yet dignity made her eminently qualified to come to this most affecting observation.

The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths.

These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness and a deep loving concern.

Beautiful people do not just happen. 

I completely believe every single word of it.

It’s an awareness which has been growing in me for some years but has been particularly highlighted since my Dad’s death. Those who have since shown me the most compassion and provided the most comfort have themselves experienced many ‘dark nights of the soul’ as a dear friend of mine so aptly and eloquently puts it.

They are the ones who *get it*.

And I love them fiercely for it. So thankyou, you beautiful people in my life – you know who you are – your beauty is so innate and soul-touching that I’m dazzled by it.

So, Lovelies – what do you think about this one? Has your soul also been touched by such a beautiful person? Do you think such beauty only develops with age or can it inhabit the young as well? Dive in – I’d love to hear your thoughts.
Photobucket

13 comments:

  1. Love it Jane! I'm enjoying your Saturday soul sessions. I believe in these words entirely. I think age is irrelevant - I've seen it inhabit the young and unfortunately seen it lacking in those who you would think would have the wisdom of age. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
    Mel xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so agree, unless you've walked through a few valleys you can't even comprehend their existence. I am sure too, that your tenderheartedness, showing now with little Joshua, will help you to make more sense of the difficult experiences of the year. Josh is so blessed to have parents like you two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You Jane, are a true beauty in my life. Thank you. Love and hugs, Emma.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes dear Jane, I feel very lucky to have had my soul touched by a number of beautiful people. I often find myself drawn to certain friends more so than others. Naturally I love and care for all of my friends, but there are ones in particular that know me. These are the ones I feel at total ease with when I'm around them. It makes me smile to see their name pop up on my phone or in my inbox. And they're the ones I admire so deeply for the adversity they've overcome. It has been a tremendous experience for me to also (virtually) meet friends through blogging who fit into this category. Remarkable really, for people I've not even met in person. Another lovely edition of Saturday soul food, thank you Jane xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a really thought provoking quote.
    I believe it.
    I also think when our intellect and words can't do our hearts justice, we seek out those who 'just know' or 'just get it' because they understand even what we can't articulate.
    I've had relationships/friendships where the other person simply couldn't fathom my experience or feelings because they haven't known any grief, pain or struggle in their own.
    It's not their fault or through lack of care - it's just relative to their perspective.

    That said, I have a couple of very special people in my life who can empathise so deeply regardless of the situation.
    Beautiful soul food.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely Saturday soul session! I don't think age matters ... I truly believe some people are born with special gifts:) I am lucky to have a few in my life!!
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Jane - such amazing words by an astounding lady. Touched my heart in many ways - hope you are well sweetheart.
    Ax

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mom actually went to one of her seminars in '82 - quite ground-breaking stuff at the time. Thank goodness she swooped in and defined 'normal'. Hang in there :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Miss Jane

    I want to say so much but I won't as I'll start to cry and I won't be able to get this comment out.

    Yes I have known loss - I am such a close person to all my family and I grasp almost every day I have with them - they are elderly and I do so much for them - but also because I want to - I won't be able to do it forever as I know they won't be here.

    Beautiful people do not just happen.

    This applies to you so much x


    Have a wonderful day,

    loulou, from hereiamloulou blog

    x
    PS happy birthday to Joshua too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful sentiment Jane. Dark nights of the soul are sucky, but do seem to have a purpose somewhat. If only to realign our perspectives, refresh our gratitude and provide wonderful excuses to eat Lindt balls. M xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh some people are just born that way. I have many very special people in my world, so many from preschool to Uni, they are solid, still fabulous & the best part, they know me, as a child, the genuine soul that has grown with them & they always call it true. My husband has magic in him that can turn me around in a heart beat. Considering what he does for a living, he's a gentle guide to our children & the most perfect match to me. He has seen the most awful things on earth, yet has calm inside. He is so like my father, right down to the military career, they are the two most important people in my world, so alike & completely have me covered, know what to say, when, how & know how i'm going to handle it. Love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know just what you're saying and yes I know these people...xxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. What gorgeous and insightful comments you have all shared here - thankyou. I've written to most of you personally as I really appreciate the time and effort you've taken to comment beautifully. I think these comments really enhance the quotation so bravo! J x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts, you gorgeous soul. You've just made my day! J x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...