Sunday 5 June 2011

Sunday splendour: 5 June 2011

Lovely Planetarians, it’s that time of the week again when I reflect on some of the splendid moments in my week on Planet Baby. It’s been yet another turbulent one with my Dad raced off to hospital again (he’s home now), still no tenant for our rental, Joshua starting school holidays and The Big Move to our new house commencing. We’ve all had head colds so I’ve been wiping runny noses all day long just as winter has settled into its chilly ways. Anyway, this is a sure-fire way to lift my spirits and yours too, I hope – enjoy!

*I feasted upon* scrumptious Eton Mess. Have you ever heard of it? Or tasted it? It’s well worth a try.

It wasn’t *exactly* my intention. However, after trying to make my failproof-pavlova in a hurry and managing to drop a tiny speck of egg-yolk into my egg-whites, my pavlova failed to rise. So I turned to this trusty recipe I found in the Sydney Morning Herald some years ago and created something luscious out of a disaster!
* I discovered* these stunning German storybook roses at the Etsy shop Smilemercantile.
Ooh, I *want* some! Desperately. Aren’t they just fabulous works of art?

* I enjoyed* receiving my latest eBay purchase, ‘Box in box’, all flat-packed and ready for me to put together for use in my new *room of my own*. Can’t you see it on my new-yet-to-be-purchased-desk? Thanks to sweet Claire for this hot little tip!
* I created* this little acrylic painting in a few minutes using left-over paint from painting my own little birdie to match the one you saw here. 
It’s nothing flash but I enjoyed having a moment to *let go* and express myself. I can’t wait to unpack my watercolours and start creating in my new *room of my own*.

* I read this* Groucho Marx quotation at Kind Over Matter which made a lot of sense to me. What do you think?
* I watched* Joshie finish First Term at his new school, only to have to say goodbye to his new-found friends, ready to move schools after the holidays.
India, Sam and I attended morning tea in his honour, taking in cups of jellied fruit to accompany the fruit skewers one of the mums kindly assembled as the throngs of hungry children descended upon her! I was so touched to see how *beautifully* he mixed with all his classmates and how much they appeared to delight in his company. I am very proud of the manner in which he is handling all these big changes so far. It’s a lot for a 5 year old to adapt to, I think.

Life on PB is at sixes and sevens at the moment as we’re in the middle of The Big Move. I’ll fill you in on the latest moves on our Monopoly game soon – once I’ve done some more packing! I wish you all an enjoyable and fulfilling week.
Photobucket

18 comments:

  1. Ooo yummy, I saw someone make Eton Mess on Masterchef. With all that sugar, cream and fresh berries... you can't go wrong!
    Love your ebay purchase, it is beautiful and so clever for storing all the pretty supplies.
    Your painting is lovely. Gorgeous rainy day colours. It's nice to create something unique to reflect your feelings.
    Hope all is ok with your Dad now and no more hospital dashes in sight.
    Take good care Jane xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too freaky. I made Eton Mess just this weekend. It was the Junior Masterchef recipe (my 7yo got it in bookclub) and it was THE MOST DELICIOUS THING I HAVE EVER EATEN. The JMC recipe is heaps easier than the SMH .. and I have so much raspberry coulis left over I am having it in my yoghurt.

    Have a great week OK (-:

    ps. note the use of heaps - I could have also used the term 'way easier'

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many pretty things Jane! I will have to try eaton mess, it sounds and looks divine. Love your stationary organizer and what a gorgeous blue in your painting. J agree, you need to get some of those roses. I hope the move is going well and maybe we can make a date for a cuppa in a few weeks?
    X
    Ps a nice fifty percent off sale at Inside. I bought some nice tape :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of lovely treats and sweet art to balance all these changes.

    I could not agree more with Groucho.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phew, quite a week for you Jane...glad to hear your Dad is back home, hope's he's doing okay - and you too.

    I love Eton Mess...had it the other week in fact, never made it though, you have inspired me to :)

    Take care xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Eton mess looks delicious! I will give it a try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope life slows down for you soon Jane. Best wishes for your dad , I hope the rental goes soon (if you don't mind me asking, what part of Sydney?) and I must try Eton Mess one day, sounds delish! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the recipe and will have to give it a go. So love your painting Jane, simple and gorgeous - blue being my favourite colour and everything :)
    Love, love, love those roses - so hope you can get your hands on some soon. Take care. N x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jane, your Sunday Splendor posts take me to my happy place. Wish I could jump on plane to visit your new home!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope your week unfold kindly Jane.Yes you are right it is a hard challenge for little one as well.I am sure they will love their new school, friends.Thanks for that scrumptious recipe :)
    Bonne semaine!
    Sandrine x

    ReplyDelete
  11. If Eton Mess originated in the boarding school by the same name..I could have lived there...one of my favourite combos..meringue and cream..and with berries..yum! I am looking forward to see your painting prowess, the little dabbling you did even looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh, my mother in law makes Eton Mess, but only in summer with fresh raspberries and sometimes passionfruit pulp too. Yummo!

    Sounds like Joshie is handling all the changes with aplomb, which is fantastic. Happy packing Miss Jane!

    ps I really like that quote. I should tape it to my fridge!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your post! Now I also want, want, want a room of my own and such a splendid box in a box... Will also try to remember Groucho's quote when stressfull events try to take the happiness away from me...
    Thanks for being the first on my special project today. That it's you, makes me sooo happy!
    Have a great week my friend!
    Tesca

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am going to try this Eton Mess. I heard it was yummy! I hope your dad is okay. I'l be thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So glad so many of you feel inspired to try Eton Mess - you won't regret it.

    Yes, those flowers are on my very long wishlist, Naomi and Sarah!

    And thanks for the tape tip, Sarah - some winged their way home to PB ☺.

    Tesca, I adore my 'box in a box' - you should treat yourself! J x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Jen...I hope you are doing well...just read your post and saw that you love the paper roses...just wanted to let you know that I have a tutorial on my blog...so if you're feeling crafty sometime just pop by. or drop me an email and I'll send you the link...have a great weekend...xo
    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  17. sorry I meant to write Jane....:( I promise !

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks, Lucy - you're such a gem. I can't wait to try making some. J x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts, you gorgeous soul. You've just made my day! J x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...