Oh, my! This hurdy-gurdy ride we’re on has to stop soon. The pace is too relentless for me. How are you Planetarians finding it – are you a bit breathless like me, struggling to keep up with all our goings-on? I think I’m running on adrenalin which isn’t healthy for an extended period. My specialist has recommended that I take an extended ‘blogcation’ for a month (imagine that!) to relieve some pressure. I immediately (mentally) discounted that to a fortnight – I’ll have to see how I go. Don’t worry – I’ll give you a heads-up if I plan to go AWOL for a while as we’re settling into our new house! So, here’s an update on how Planet Baby’s Monopoly game is playing out.
Our Hobart rental house
Would you believe it – this house is the most troublesome of the three properties right now! We are on a fixed lease until mid-January 2011 and are desperately searching for someone to take over the balance of the lease with the option to renew for a year with the landlord if they wish. Until we find someone, we are still liable for meeting the rent here. The horrors – imagine paying that as well as the mortgage on our new house! I’m trying very hard not to stress about something over which I have no control but it’s a challenge, I’ll be frank!
The managing agent has shown about 10 people through so far with no response. Those who took copies of the lease didn’t ring her back and even avoided taking her calls. I am just staggered by this response. When we returned to Hobart in September 2009, it took us 4 months and the inspection of 30 houses before we found this one. At every inspection, about 30 people turned up and they were almost clambering over each other to hand in their completed applications at the end of the inspection.
But not this time around.
I don’t get it. It’s such a cute little cottage with a lot of charm and is fabulous for entertaining in summer as the French doors are thrown open. It’s in a tiny street with friendly neighbours, lots of young children and a real community feel. Oh, and its convenience to the nearby shops, beach and playground is second to none (5 minutes’ walk to each).
Tidying up the house to make it presentable for inspection is so tiring and *challenging* (what a euphemism!) with the 3 pixies racing around, creating havoc as they go. Just after we’ve cleaned that *particular* spot up. Hmmm. It’s also hard as we’re in that ‘limbo’ state of mind where half of the house has been packed up and we’re at the point of not caring if everything is as tidy as normal as we are only meant to be here until Friday 3 June 2011. Can any of you relate to this feeling?
Our Sydney apartment
Yes, sweet Planetarians, we’ve found our purchaser, she’s had her finance approved by her bank and the sale contract is now unconditional! Woo hoo! That’s been a huge relief for us. The sale price was in our range and backed up by our bank’s valuation. Our conveyancer friend is such a legend. She has met my parents so she’s doing everything she can to relieve any stress for us.
What we hadn’t reckoned with was *certain agents* acting without our instructions to serve a Notice of Termination on our tenants, even before the contract was unconditional! To describe my responses as ‘apoplectic’ would be a huge understatement. Our tenants are due to vacate the place on 12 June 2011 and the sale will proceed on 16 June 2011. However, apparently there is the chance our tenants might leave earlier than that without giving notice! It all depends upon which agent I talk to. Hmm, the lawyer in me is *disgruntled*, to say the least. I’m awaiting my conveyancer’s advice on what our tenants are legally allowed to do. We’re hoping there won’t be any fallout as a result – please cross your fingers for us (or press your thumbs, as the Germans say!).
Our Hobart house purchase
Now, this little baby is the one you’re all developing an interest in, I can see! Look at that gorgeous sign on the fence ☺. Settlement will take place this coming Monday 30 May 2011 – woo hoo! At this point, we have given notice to our landlord that we intend to vacate the rental house on Friday 3 June 2011 but that might depend on whether a new tenant has been found to take over the balance of the lease. If not, we may stay here a little longer as we’ll be paying the rent anyway and we could then move in gradually which might be best with the pixies in tow. Ah, the uncertainty is frustrating! So near, yet so far…
As well as packing, I’ve had to fill out all the paperwork for the pixies’ new school and daycare (you wouldn’t believe the fuss I had to endure to find a Justice of the Peace to certify their birth certificates! Oh, and Medicare gave me printouts of their vaccination details so I didn’t have to find their Blue Books ☺.). Now I’m waiting for written confirmation of their places before giving notice at their current school and daycare centre. Today I finally organised home and contents insurance for our new home. Arranging the removalists to move the furniture is my next task!
And, of course, in the middle of all this, I’ve been in regular contact with our bank manager, finalising the loan details and taking out mortgage protection insurance. Not to mention running the usual Affairs of State on Planet Baby…
Hmm, so much for bloggy rehab! Look how late I’m up, against my doctor’s orders. I must away. I’ll be back soon with some more inside photos of our new home – how’s that for a teaser?!