Saturday 24 July 2010

How did I get here?

Facebook started it all. A while ago, I volunteered to organise my 20 year school reunion and a schoolmate suggested I join Facebook to help find our friends. The word soon spread and now about half my class is on the Book. I have been delighted to reconnect with old friends after the absence of many years and watch how friendships between people have evolved. 
Hop on my magic carpet with me
I discovered all the 'pages' I could 'like' and I was transported all over the world as if I were on a magic carpet ride.  Things only continued to improve once those pages started showing up in my news feed with links to other websites.  Soon I was discovering people's blogs and feeling the wonder of connecting with like-minded people all over the planet, far beyond the realm of my little weatherboard cottage in picturesque Hobart on PB. 

As a mother, I've found it's so easy to completely immerse myself in my children's lives until I've reached the point where my sense of identity has nearly disappeared, lost in the ether somewhere. It's not something I consciously set out to do but it just happened as I put the family's priorities and needs ahead of mine to the point where my needs were running a distant last. 

Of course, life's experiences have caused my sense of self to evolve. In that sense, I'm not the person I used to be before life on PB.  However, I also think one has intrinsic qualities which endure throughout, whatever life throws at you.  I feel that if I don't actively and consciously make an effort to tune in to who I am, it is so easy to lose track of it and forget. Nurturing my soul while on PB with all the noise, energy and craziness that entails is a constant and absorbing struggle but one I'm willing to pursue.  I hope this blog will help me understand and make sense of my life in the midst of the clamour and lack of headspace I feel while on PB.

Jane

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to blogging! (even though I'm pretty new to it too!) Your cottage sounds lovely! Its great that we can all find some sanity by connecting like this, across so many miles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic post, and so true! I know exactly where you are coming from. When you spend 12hrs straight with your little one/s and no adult contact you can go a bit crazy. So it's nice to just turn on the computer and have lots of other mum's and like-minded people right there to share a bit of life with!
    Can't wait to read more Jane.
    Jxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much, you lovely ladies! I'm really flattered. I'm just about to wake 1 year old Sam and 2.5 year old India so we can collect 4.5 year old Joshua from school. Then the witching hours will start and it will be a while until I log back on! I am still working out how to add gadgets and upload photos - all hints are welcome. I am buzzing with ideas - can't wait to start.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts, you gorgeous soul. You've just made my day! J x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...