Saturday 19 May 2012

Some Saturday soul food: Henry David Thoreau

                                      Source: wallflowerfriends.com via Jane on Pinterest


Oh my stars! Thankyou ever so much for your gorgeous supportive comments and emails following yesterday's post. You all have the hugest hearts. Your compassion bowls me over. All the time. 

Here's another quick post tonight from one of my all time favourite writers and philosophers, the American Henry David Thoreau (18171862). I first discovered him when aged 18 and on a school trip walking through some lush rainforest in Queensland. We chanced upon an enchanting waterfall and some ancient Aboriginal rock art. One of my teachers then shared with me his love of Thoreau's Walden, one of the all-time greats in American literature. I was captivated. 

He wrote many journals over the years - here's his entry for 6 July 1840.
Have no mean hours, but be grateful for every hour, and accept what it brings. The reality will make any sincere record respectable.  
No day will have been wholly misspent, if one sincere, thoughtful page has been written. 
I find the power and simplicity of these words just stunning.

The first paragraph reminds me to be in the moment and be thankful for my very existence. That's such a poignant reminder for me just now.

And the second inspires me to keep writing. To continue to distil the essence of my thoughts as I try to make sense of what has been, and what will be, in my life.

So tell me, are any of you gorgeous Planetarians also a fan of Thoreau? Do you think he's talking sense? I can't wait to hear your thoughts.
Photobucket
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...