Saturday 14 January 2012

From one income to none: this week's bombshell

Time for triage on Planet Baby
Ah Lovelies. I'm so sorry for the radio silence (I've missed you all dreadfully!) but this week has been an absolute shocker on Planet Baby. We're still reeling from it. I've hardly been around in Blogland and have scarcely replied to all your gorgeous comments on my post about the Taste Festival. I wrote that last Sunday night. 

I awoke on Monday, knowing that Mr PB was returning to work after a fortnight's annual leave over the Christmas/New Year break. That meant I would have all 3 pixies at home for the next 5 weeks before school and daycare started. Trying not to feel daunted, I started my usual morning clean-up whilst the pixies watched 'Play School'. The electrician turned up to fix some downlights. Then Mr PB returned home and told me he'd lost his job.

Just like that. 

Suddenly, our world was turned upside down. We'd gone from one income to none. 

I won't go into the details of the circumstances for many reasons. However, I want to keep you 'in the loop' of what's happening on our planet as there may have to be big changes here.

After taking some time to get over the initial shock, we started to contact the relevant people and companies to assist us. Our parents and siblings have rallied around us with brilliant support.

So this week, we've been in 'triage mode', working out our options, who to tell and when and what arrangements need to be made. We've been bowled over by the support we have received. To those friends who have left phone messages and emailed, thankyou so much. We'll get back to you as soon as circumstances allow.

Trying to reassure the pixies it will all work out okay has been a paramount concern. So far, so good. Children are often much more resilient than we give them credit for, don't you find?

As for us, we're bearing up reasonably well in the circumstances. Whilst shaken and bruised, we're uniting to get our little family through this testing period.
I just keep remembering the post I wrote about attitude here. Thanks, Charles R Swindoll, for reminding me that:
We cannot change our past. We cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable.
The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have and that is our attitude. 
I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it. And so it is with you.  We are in charge of our attitudes.
It's not *quite* the start to 2012 we had envisaged but we have to roll with it and see what we can make of it. Who knows - perhaps this might be the start of a truly wonderful new chapter in our lives as we try out some different approaches. Only time will tell.

So, please cross your fingers that Mr PB finds the right job soon and that our fortunes turn swiftly. It's time our luck improved, don't you think?
Photobucket
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...